----
Walking forward, it was clear that the sun had just risen in this new place. It was morning, and the birds were singing. The air was sweet, and its smell was new and fresh, like buttercups in a windblown field. I was in a meadow at daybreak, and the deer around me were not afraid. I looked all around me, and saw that behind me was a forest, different from the one I had just left, but even more mysterious. I still held the box and the key, and glancing down at them again I realized that the box contained another piece of paper, which I quickly took out. I read as follows:
“It is no mischance that you stand where you are. It was fate that led you to that forest, it was fate that showed you to just the right tree, and it was fate that brought you here into this world, at just the right time, to help us find the way. You are not alone.”
I studied the letter, and very quickly those last words hit me: you are not alone. Puzzled, I looked about me again and saw no one. What could it possibly mean? Suddenly a wave of exhaustion hit me; though that new morning had scarcely dawned, I had come from a land where it was still night and I had had none of the much needed sleep that my body was desperately crying out for. I looked around me for a place to lie down. Turning and walking into the forest behind me, I found a stream, and by its side a little pool in which the sun was reflected like a gem. There was a nice little patch of dry grass nearby, and, taking off my coat, I lay down in the sun to rest.
When I woke up, the sun was not much higher in the sky. I didn’t feel rested, but I knew there was no chance of more sleep just then; most of all I was very thirsty. I bent down to the pool beside me and drank deeply. The water was cool and refreshing; I stared into the beautiful ripples. Then, as they cleared, I became aware that in the water’s reflection I could see a pair of strange eyes looking up at me. With a start I turned; seeing nothing, I stared wildly around in all directions, and still found no trace of a stranger. The wild deer were gone, and it was strangely quiet. I was terrified. I knew I had seen someone, but where had he gone? I thought quickly. I had to hide; but where? Looking about me, I started towards a thick clump of trees, thinking I might be safe hiding among them.
Suddenly I heard a swift movement through the trees. Looking up, I saw a sight which terrified me beyond expression. My mind took it all in instantly: a humongous form in a shadowy cape loomed up in front of me; face painted black and wielding a rudely fashioned scimitar, the look on his face was one of cruelty and hatred. He came at me faster than I could think, and with a broad swing of his weapon he aimed straight for my throat.
Then, quick as thought, there was a blur of motion as a sword flashed through the air and came crashing down against the attacker’s steel. A strong young man had jumped out of nowhere, and was battling the dark assassin with daring skill and strength. The match was a fair one, as both contestants were highly skilled at swordplay. The battle seemed uncertain, but the bravery of the one triumphed over the cruelty of the other; soon the struggle ended as the defendant’s sword pierced through the assassin’s cloak, and deep into his heart.
I had started back as the fight began, and was now trembling with fear and shock by a fallen tree; I had never come so close to death. I believe the shock overtook me then, as I watched the assassin shudder and die. His face contorted into awful grimaces, and then, as he breathed his last, his whole body convulsed horribly one last time. The youth pulled his sword out of the twisted limp body, and cleaned it on the grass. Then, with one swift motion of his foot, he pushed the man’s body over onto his face; it slid halfway into the pool of water with a sickening splash. Looking towards me for a moment, he sheathed his sword, and then disappeared. I sat limply on the ground, turning my eyes away from the body in the pool. As I tried to calm my wildly beating heart, the young man appeared again, this time guiding a dark bay horse through the trees.
He was much taller than I, and looked older, probably nineteen or twenty. His hair was dark, and his eyes darker; he had a cleft in his chin and a twinkle in his eye, and walked with confidence and vigor. His face looked kind and firm; he came up to me gently as he said, motioning towards the dead attacker, “I took care of him, I believe. He was sent here to kill you; it’s a wonder I arrived just when I did. I didn’t expect you here so soon. We must leave this place immediately. It isn’t safe to stay.” I was too scared to be puzzled as he helped me up into the saddle. “This is my horse Mudge.” He said, stroking her velvety smooth muzzle. “But you probably don’t even know who I am.” (He had assumed correctly.) “My name is Alan, son of Bronyn. I was sent to protect you from the dark agents… they are everywhere. They’re hunting you in droves. You are called by the name Meredith, am I right?” I nodded my head in assent. “Well, we better get a move on.” He smiled at me reassuringly, then mounting the horse right up behind me, he dug his heel into her side and she broke into a gallop.
We sped through the trees and out into the open, leaving the woods behind as the corpse’s blood dyed the clear pool red. The broad daylight was blinding after the forest’s shade; through half-closed eyes I could see a field of golden wheat flashing by, which soon gave way to uneven ground. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I looked up again and saw that all had now faded away but beautiful green rolling hills that stretched as far as the eye could reach. “Mudge must be a racer.” I thought to myself as we galloped up one rise and down the other. We were putting a greater distance between ourselves and the forest with every second.
No comments:
Post a Comment