-----
Alan’s shoulder had sustained a flesh wound during his last kill; using a torn blanket, I quickly helped him staunch the blood and bandage up the wound. It was still mostly dark outside, but we packed up camp as fast as we could; Alan salvaged about a dozen arrows from the carnage lying about while I put out the smoldering fire. A few more moments found us riding hard away towards the South, leaving the gore strewn valley behind as the rising sun tinted the sky with gold.
The chill air whipped our faces as we galloped on. With the dawning light the wolves had gone into hiding, and the urgency of our flight subsided. Considering that I’d never left planet earth before, I was fascinated by the new beauty skimming past us. Trees and trees stretched out to the left, dark ones of a variety I’d never seen. Every now and again a deer would lift its head and peer at us through the forest, dropping it again as it continued to munch. We didn’t seem disturb their peace much. I could practically hear the brisk morning air, with the added music of singing birds, running water, and Mudge’s hoofbeats thudding in the green grass.
We rode for hours, on and on until my eyes glazed over and my mind wandered. I didn’t keep track of the time, but it seemed to be hours laters when I was suddenly called back to my senses. We had jerked to a halt in front of a tiny broken down shack. It sat in a green hollow surrounded by forest; vines grew around the tiny building, its clinging leaves wrapping around its rotting wood and almost seeming to suffocate it. Alan dismounted, and as he helped me off of Mudge a stingy creak was heard as the dilapidated door pushed open and a dwarvish looking sort of fellow came out.
I say dwarvish because he seemed to be almost as wide as he was tall; a red beard hung down upon his chest, and his big nose and crinkly eyes resembled those of a classic dwarf in my childhood story books. He stumped out of the house towards us, his square toed boots kicking up little clods of soft dirt. “Alan, is that you ma’ boy? Where’ve you been?” “‘Holla, Archie! Didn’t know for sure you’d be here.” Alan answered, removing Mudge’s saddle and patting her on the neck. “Why, who’ve you got with ye?” The man asked, eyeing me suspiciously as he noticed me for the first time. Then, seeing the weariness and pain on our faces his attitude quickly changed. “Nevermind.” he said, offering me his shoulder to lean on, “I can see you’ve both had a rough journey and no mistake. Come, sit down, that’s better.” He had seated me on a worn out cot inside the shack, and was now helping Alan inside. “You look a sight. What got hold of ye? I’ll bet I can guess.” He motioned to the cut on Alan’s face. “We got in a tangle with some wolves down by the fords.” Alan answered. “I take it ye weren’t too friendly with em’?” Archie turned to wink at me. “This one sure wasn’t.” Alan said, nodding in my direction. “I thought she was dead, but when I turned back she was skewering one of the biggest wolves in the pack. You should have seen her face.” He grinned over at me, then winced in pain as Archie loosed the wraps on his shoulder preparatory to cleaning the wound. I had to laugh, but I felt bad for Alan. “You still hurting much?” I asked, peering at the jagged cuts. Sometimes I ask stupid questions. “I’m alright.” Then, to Archie, “She needs food; we've come a long way.” Archie stood up from the bandage he had fixed, stepping back with a nod. “That should hold you for a day or two. You’ll be in working order in no time.” he pronounced with satisfaction. “Now, what do you want to eat? Bacon?” He snatched a plate off the table, upon which steamed a heap of lovely bacon. “I was just frying up some dinner, but there’s more where this came from and that’s sure.”
A few minutes later and we’d demolished a table full of bacon, eggs, and burnt toast. I was ravenous. Even the eggs tasted good to me, which is saying quite a lot. Archie’s skills as a doctor and a cook seemed to be without limit. What else could he do, I wondered. Our dinner conversation was quite fascinating. “Where’d you pick her up?” Archie had asked with a half grin, watching me as I looked up, embarrassed. And so Alan had detailed our meeting, his fight with the masked assassin, and our subsequent adventures. “It all only means one thing. This is her.” He finished, significantly nodding at me.” “Ohhh. It’s her.” Archie nodded in approval. “I should have known.” They both peered at me over the dimly lit table. Curiosity levels shot through the roof at this point. “Is that supposed to mean something?” I spoke up, shooting a side glance at Alan. “Seems I’m the only one here who has no idea what’s happening.” “You mean you didn’t tell her?” Archie asked, in shock. “What good are ye, boy?” “Well, I didn’t want to....” Alan began, but he suddenly froze mid sentence. We had all heard it. A strange rustling sound had come from the forest behind the house.
A few minutes later and we’d demolished a table full of bacon, eggs, and burnt toast. I was ravenous. Even the eggs tasted good to me, which is saying quite a lot. Archie’s skills as a doctor and a cook seemed to be without limit. What else could he do, I wondered. Our dinner conversation was quite fascinating. “Where’d you pick her up?” Archie had asked with a half grin, watching me as I looked up, embarrassed. And so Alan had detailed our meeting, his fight with the masked assassin, and our subsequent adventures. “It all only means one thing. This is her.” He finished, significantly nodding at me.” “Ohhh. It’s her.” Archie nodded in approval. “I should have known.” They both peered at me over the dimly lit table. Curiosity levels shot through the roof at this point. “Is that supposed to mean something?” I spoke up, shooting a side glance at Alan. “Seems I’m the only one here who has no idea what’s happening.” “You mean you didn’t tell her?” Archie asked, in shock. “What good are ye, boy?” “Well, I didn’t want to....” Alan began, but he suddenly froze mid sentence. We had all heard it. A strange rustling sound had come from the forest behind the house.
I'm in looooooooooooove with Alan. He is just plain awesome. Anyway, you must (yes, must) update soon. *sweet smile*
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete